Monday, June 7, 2010

Come Home!

Come Home

We had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found! Luke 15.32 (all NIV)

Sometimes it is hard to go back home, especially when "home" is God and we have been away for many years. Uncertain, we wrestle in our minds with reasons why it is too late to return to God...

• If I had more to offer Him, maybe. But I cannot ask God to take me in now.

• I am too ashamed to return home. I have ruined everything He ever gave me.

• No, thank you. God is probably mad and I do not blame Him.

• I have tried, but I just do not have what it takes to serve God.

• I would only disappoint Him again.

• After all this time? It would be wrong to offer God the little that is left of my life.

• You could not understand. I do not deserve forgiveness. I will never forgive myself.

• Does God truly want me anymore?

• I am really not worth saving

In Luke 15, Jesus tells the story of a man who also struggled with these thoughts as he considered returning to his father. He had left home as a young man full of cash and confidence but ran out of both simultaneously:

The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them. Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living.

After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. Luke 15.13-15

In need is elsewhere translated lack, inferior to, destitute, and fall short. His pockets were empty and he felt like a failure, but he was either too embarrassed or too proud to return home. So he took a local job feeding pigs. The contrast between his father and this employer was drastic. The new boss did not give him anything to eat, while his dad’s servants had food to spare. While the pigs grew fatter, he grew thinner and finally decided it was time to go home:

I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: “Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son: make me like one of your hired men.” Luke 15.18-19

If his steps were light at first, they probably grew heavier as he drew closer to home and doubt invited him to question his decision: I left with much, I am retuning with nothing. What will dad say? Surely he is upset with me. Is it even fair for me to ask him to take me back? What if I just disappoint him again? After all I have done, I do not deserve his forgiveness. I do not even deserve to be called his child.

But at this point in the story, Jesus offers words of great comfort for all who, like this man, are thinking of returning home:

But while he was still along way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him...the father said to his servants, “Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.” Luke 15.20, 22-24

The truth is that Father God never gave up hope for us. He has never taken His eyes off of us. When we begin to turn back toward Him, compassion floods His heart and He runs toward us. Wrapping us in His arms He shouts, "My daughter has come home! My son has returned! Clothe them and feed them with the best from My house!"

"But I do not deserve such acceptance," we still protest. True. But who among us does? God’s acceptance is not measured out based upon who we are or what we have done. God’s acceptance is measured out based on who He is, and what He has done. That is why we call Him Savior.

That Savior is still calling, "come home, My child, come home!"

Resting in God’s Truth...

• Father God is waiting for us to come home.

• When we turn home toward God, His compassionate arms welcome us sincerely.

• None of us deserve such acceptance, but such is the gift of the God of all Comfort.

© alicia britt chole ~ onewholeworld, inc. ~ No part of this publication can be reproduced in any way without prior written permission of onewholeworld, inc. ~ http://www.truthportraits.com/


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates