Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The “Love” Month

Scripture Focus: I Corinthians 13
Major Betsy Kyle

The more of life I experience as each year goes by within the dynamics of family and community, the more I understand and embrace The Bibles “Love Chapter”, I Corinthians 13. My perspective on everyday life becomes clear in what matters most when all is said and done.

Recently my high school freshman son prepared a “persuasive speech” for his speech class on the subject of “negativity”. I wondered why he chose this subject. I suspect he chose it because he has struggled within himself from its affects, as well as from others, and sadly, perhaps even from me. The aim of this speech was to convince his audience how unproductive and damaging it can be to yourself and to those around you.

Life is full of disappointments, sadness, hurts, and broken dreams, and they can all lead down the road of negativity – you name it, we all have them, and Satan does his best to capitalize on it in our lives. Do you know how we can counteract its affects?? Read I Corinthians 13 and let it soak in like a warm bath!

Not only does our Lord want us to experience the changing power of love, He wants us to impart this same love to others. Love trumps all other virtues. I may be able to: speak it all, have it all, give it all and sacrifice it all (vs.1-3), but if love is not the motivator within me, God tells us that it means nothing. Nothing, to the people around me that matter most in this life.

This Valentine’s Day is just one day out of the year that celebrates the attribute of “Love”, but we need love demonstrated every day! When my teen comes home from school beaten down by comments of his peers, in that moment he needs unconditional love demonstrated through patience, kindness and acceptance (warts and all! vs.4-7). Home is where we let it all hang out, and for this very reason should be where we start to practice the excellence of Love. It’s the testing ground for I Corinthians 13.

May this Valentines Day remind you of the transforming power of love, and the need for us to seek to demonstrate some aspect of it with the ones we love, not just one day a year, but every day.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates